Saturday, June 28, 2008

Interview with Jennifer Echols

'Ello, everyone! I've got another interview here with Jennifer Echols, author of two good books called Major Crush and The Boys Next Door. Thank you, Jennifer, for doing this interview. And yes, I know they're the same questions as my last interview, but I think they're pretty accurate and basically ask what I need to know.

1. Why did you start writing?

Because I loved to read, but there was always something I wished I could adjust about every book I read. And the only way to do that, really, is to write your own.
2. Who/what inspired your stories?

So far my novels have been inspired by experiences I had when I was a teenager. I was the first female drum major of my high school marching band, which fueled Major Crush. I grew up on a lake in Alabama, which serves as the background for The Boys Next Door.

3. Did you always want to be an author?

I always wanted to be an author, an artist, or a musician. Sometimes one of these choices has prevailed over the others. Music was my first major in college, before I switched to English. But author has always been in the top three.
4. Could you see yourself doing anything else?

No. I wrote for a long time before I had any success. If I stopped having success now, I wouldn't stop writing. It becomes a part of you.
5. Is it difficult to write stories about fields of which you know nothing?

I don't think I've ever done this. If there's information I need to write a story, I go and find it. That said, I think it's important to remember that no matter what the background, a novel is mostly about relationships between people, and we all have plenty of experience with that.

6. How time-consuming is it?

Probably not as time-consuming as you might think. Lots of people tell me they would write a novel if they had the time. I don't have time either but I find the time. People who take years to write one novel probably aren't writing every day.

7. Do you feel it's rewarding?

When people invite me to be interviewed on their blogs, it definitely is! Thank you, V.

Thank you, Jennifer, for doing this interview! I look forward to reading your next book!



No comments: